Friday, April 3, 2009

Okay, so no matter where you work, 7+ hours is just too much! I know that I did not work that many hours today and I don't work that many tomorrow, but still. Think about it. Seven hours at the same place, doing the same thing. Or 7 hours on your feet (poor me!) dealing with angry customers. Or those people that work 12 hour days. Seriously?! Twelve hours?! That's like half a day. Then you have to eat and sleep. You get a total of about 4 hours to do everything else you need to do, assuming you meet the 8 hour standard of sleep you're supposed to get a night.

Miles is sleeping. I hope. I say I hope he's sleeping because I have been calling his phone since 9:15 this evening and he has yet to answer. It is now 12:30. I probably would have gone over there but I started talking to my dad about the rapture. Miles and I sent out pocket calendars that say that the rapture is going to be May 21, 2011. I was alright with it, but I naturally prefer the one on one talking about the subject prior to saying anything about the rapture being in 2011. I don't really know how he knew that we sent those out...it's not like I sent them an invitation. Maybe they talked to my grandparents? I have no clue.
I proceeded to tell him about the timeline of history and how you can count back and figure out that there was 11,013 years from 1BC to the creation of Adam. That puts the flood at 4990BC. God told Noah that the world would be destroyed 7 days before it happened. Then if you go to II Peter 3:3-13 you see verse 8 "But, beloved, be not ignorant of this one thing, that one day is with the Lord as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day." Substitute 7,000 years for 7 days, and you come to 2011AD (you have to subtract a year since there isn't a year 0). Getting to May and to the 21st is much more complicated and honestly I can't remember how to get there on my own...which is something I should work on.
He told me that he's concerned about who my spiritual leader is. He says he doesn't trust that the Bible is God's word. "It's been copied too many times" he says. I read Jeremiah 36 to him to show him that God protects his word.
I told him that I'm worried about my grandparents, plus many other people. He asked why and I told him that everyone says that God loves everyone and that everyone needs to go to church. I read Romans 9 to him, to show him how it says that some people are made for destruction and some for honor. That if everyone could be saved where is God's glory? I told him that no one is good and no one deserves to be saved. He disagreed. So, I read Romans 3:10-31 to him. Verse 23 says "For all have sinned and come short of the glory of God:" Then I went to Romans 6:23 "For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord."
I was standing there in the kitchen, feeling like I was being grilled by my father about my beliefs and reading the Bible to him. So, what does any girl do in this situation? I cried. I couldn't help it, I just started to cry. I kept trying to read but it was difficult. I think it made him feel bad.
I told him about how one day when we were at my grandparents' house for some kind of lunch. My grandma had asked where Miles and his family went to church. I told them that they don't go to church (they had asked me this question at least 2 time before). My grandpa very plainly looked at me and said, "Then who is his authority?" I wasn't ready for this question (this was quite some time ago, now I'd like to think that I'd be prepared for this now) I just looked at Aimee dumbfounded. I said, "His parents..." and Aimee mouthed "God" to me. So, I said, "God." My grandpa replied, "Oh, that's dangerous."

Think about that for a second. It's dangerous to have God as an authority? I assume he means that it's dangerous to not have some sort of Bible school educated spiritual leader. But, that's not what he said. The problem is (which is also something I told my father) that people think of their church as being their authority. They put the church doctrines, creeds, beliefs, and whatnots above the Bible. Now if these doctrines and such are supposed to be derived from the Bible, wouldn't the Bible be the ultimate authority? I would think so.

He asked me a couple times who I get my information from. I kept telling him, "the Bible." And he'd say, "So you came up with this on your own." Well, no, I didn't. I listen to Bible studies and read and participate in Bible studies. I told him that we listen to Family Radio. I told him that I listen to them because they correct themselves if they find out that they've been teaching something incorrectly.

He asked how you ever know if you're understanding it correctly. I told him that you just have to pray that you're understand the Bible correctly. I told him that God won't hear the prayer of the wicked. I told him some people just don't have a chance of being saved.

It was a rough conversation. But, it tests my studying. He asked why I was crying and I just said, "I like talking to people about the Bible but I know it's not going to be what they want to hear."

Oh, I'm drained. I'm tired and have a headache.
I think I'll wash my face and go to sleep now.
Man, I could use a massage.

No comments:

Post a Comment