Saturday, September 24, 2011

Concerning Motherhood

As of today it's officially been a year that I've been a mother.  Of course that's in the sense of having a baby outside of my body.  If you want to get technical about it than I've been a mother since December of 2009.  Either way, it's been a fun ride so far.

Okay, let's back up.  Today is Anna's birthday.  Seriously, she's one?!  That's insane.


It's funny to see her with her head back and her hands together crying like that...only because when she's really upset she still does that.  Ohh, my baby!


This picture was taken four minutes short of two hours after she was born.  I wish I had a picture of the first time I held her, but this is the closest I have.  Granted, it was still almost an hour after she was born that I actually got to hold her.  If I had another baby I'd definitely try to shorten that time somehow.  I remember when they finally brought her into the room and handed her to me I had no idea what to do.  She was crying and boy was I fumbling for answers.  The nurse that was checking me out after the C-section was standing and staring at Miles and me.  Not staring in a weird or mean way, but just watching, which made it more awkward. 

I was definitely nervous of how I would take to being a mother.  I've never been the one to take care of people.  Instead I was always the one being taken care of.  Maybe it's because I'm the youngest?  I'm not sure but I bet that's part of it.


I'd like to think that I'm a nice fit for Anna.  My goal is to always do right by her, you know?  I like to think I'm good at separating myself from my current upset baby to take care of the task at hand...does that make sense?  Not that she's upset now, but when she is.  For example, cleaning out her nose, getting shots, bathing (seriously, what happened to my bath time loving girl?), etc.  Let's just say I'm not the mother than cries when my baby gets a shot.  Maybe that sounds mean.
This has gone downhill quick.

Anyway, the point is that I love my babesies.  Yes, I call her that.  And Anna Girl, Sweets, Babes, Darling Girl, Bubby...  Miles calls her Anna Baby and Miriam Girl. 

Her birthday party was supposed to be today, but Miles came down with a pretty severe case of mono on Tuesday night so we've rescheduled it for next Saturday.  He's with his parents right now to lessen Anna's exposure to it and because they can take better care of him that I can with Anna demanding my attention.  We're going to visit him today after we take a trip to IHOP and Target with my momma, sister, brother-in-law and nephew.  I'm excited to get out for the day and excited to see Miles.  I do like him, you know.

1 comment:

  1. You're a wonderful momma! Very patient and always working to do what's best for Anna. But most importantly is that you have been reading God's Word to her from the very beginning. That is the best and most important thing we mom's can do, teach our children about the Lord. I am so sorry that Miles got sick and I know it must have been disappointing to have wait another week for Anna's party, but there again, you are doing what is best for her. Another reason why you are an amazing mother! Now, about this whole liking Miles thing...;-) Don't worry, I like him too!

    ReplyDelete